Bhupathi claims 11th Slam title, first for Sania

BANGALORE: Mahesh Bhupathi was slow to arrive at the Rod Laver arena on Sunday. Fortunately for him, his partner Sania Mirza showed up
Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi
Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi hold the winners trophy after their mixed doubles final match in Melbourne. (AFP Photo)
bright and early, steady in nerve and furious in her shot making. At 3-3 in the first set Bhupathi weighed in and the wildcard entrants of the Australian Open mixed doubles event went on to clinch 10 of the final 11 games of the title clash that saw an interesting mix of flair and firepower.

The all-Indian pairing powered to 6-3, 6-1 win over Israel's Andy Ram and France's Nathalie Dechy in 55 minutes. The win gave Sania her first Grand Slam title and Bhupathi his seventh mixed-doubles crown and 11th Grand Slam title.

Sania was understandably ecstatic. "After being out for most of last year, not playing for almost six months, and then winning a Grand Slam title in virtually my first tournament back, is just great," she said. "A Slam is a Slam -- singles, doubles or mixed doubles, and winning on these big stages is what I had dreamt of as a child. Winning with Mahesh, he's a friend and fellow Indian, makes it even more special. Last time, we fell one short, this time we did it!"

Bhupathi said, "This whole weekend has been an emotional roller-coaster. The last thing you want to do after a match like yesterday is show-up on the court again today. There was some of that disappointment still there in me, but you have to get up to the job. Fortunately for me Sania was playing great and she got us through the early part and then I served great and when we're playing like that it's tough to beat us. It's been a great two weeks for me, but if I had to return home without a title, it would've hurt. This obviously makes up for Saturday's loss in the men's doubles final."

Bhupathi and Sania, playing their second successive final in Melbourne Park, were off to a quick start, breaking Ram in the opening game of the match. They were, however, equally quick in surrendering the advantage as Dechy and Ram reeled off three games in row to take a 3-2 lead.

Even with the tension mounting Bhupathi and Sania seemed to be enjoying themselves on court. "I'm the one doing all the talking," Sania said, between peels of laughter. "Mahesh always says very little, ha and hum.... But we always have fun together because we're friends and that eases tension on the court."

Sania then led the fightback with some nicely angled returns while Bhupathi provided the finishing touches at the net as the Indians broke Dechy in the seventh game. A Bhupathi forehand down-the-line sealed the set as the Israeli faltered with his serve in the ninth game.

Bhupathi and Sania were unstoppable in the second set, breaking Dechy in the fourth and Ram in the sixth. The 22-year-old Hyderabadi then served out the match in the seventh game.

Bhupathi, who hasn't persisted with his former mixed doubles partners after winning Grand Slam crowns, hoped it would be different with Sania. "This is the most special of my mixed doubles wins because it has come with a fellow Indian. There's been so much excitement and positive energy around us playing together that this title has got to be extra special," he said.

Bhupathi was all praise for his partner. "A lot of great players have started out by winning doubles and mixed doubles titles, so today was a great beginning for Sania. I'm sure there will be more titles to come," he said.

"She's young, she's a quick learner and she's growing everyday as a player. This is just the kind of confidence booster she needed at the start of the year."

Sania was scheduled to fly back home later on Sunday. "My wrist is doing good," she said. "But I've been on painkillers this whole week. I've been experiencing some pain in my abdominal muscle. I'm going to give the Fed Cup a miss, return home and take care of this problem."

Sania, however, refused to look ahead. "I'm living in the moment," she said. "I'm going to enjoy this win. Sure this has done a lot for my confidence and I'm it'll help me in singles too, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself."